Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Mexican flair

Last month, I was invited to join a girlfriend's book group. The group was nearly through The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver, but instead of waiting for the next book, I decided to jump in with both feet. While I find Kingsolver's fiction gets rather (tediously?) obsessed with detail, I did enjoy the visuals prompted by the initial storyline involving Frida Kahlo. Thinking of those gorgeous Mexican colors reminded me of this site. Deep in the throes of Mexican lore within The Lacuna, I placed my order. Several weeks later (well into the next book, not about Mexico), a tiny brown package was discovered in my postbox.


It had been posted in a thin brown paper bag, taped shut with Magic Tape. The bag ripped wide open when I tried to carefully pry the tape loose. I have no idea how it survived intact from Mexico to Western Australia, but I was tickled pink that it did. Inside, my order was simply but beautifully packaged, with a little handwritten note (love!).

I admit I feel a bit silly about it this order now, no longer reading of Mexico and in the depths of wild winter storms here, but it certainly is a dash of colorful and unexpected in my day. I am hoping that wearing these dresses will repeat that feeling at some point down the line. Who could object to that?

No comments:

Post a Comment