Monday, May 5, 2014

Sewing until midnight


Last Friday was Grandparents' and Special Friends' Day at my girls' school.  Without visitors, Hubby and I were our girls' special friends, a role I relish but hardly novel for the kids.  I wanted them to have a special day, so we made extra effort to take them out to a yummy lunch in the city afterwards and I sewed them each a new dress for the occasion.

Me being me, I offered to sew just days before the event.  Them being them, they accepted with enthusiasm, filling me with pride as they scoured my patterns for the perfect one, finally selecting the Oliver + S Ice Cream Dress.  For the first time ever, I could see they had their own visions of how their dresses should look.  Stephanie took inspiration from this dress, and Ellie found inspiration here.  I was thrilled until I realised it was Tuesday, I had to find and purchase the requested fabric, and I had only one full and one half school day to sew both.  Eep! Midnight sewing was required on the last night, but the pride in their faces Friday morning made it completely worthwhile.  Yawn.  Happy.

 

*The fabric is Michael Miller quilting cotton purchased at Wexford Dry Goods, a lovely local shop that sadly will soon close its doors.  She has a wonderfully curated collection, and everything is on sale now.  My sizeable stash means I shouldn't go on a stocking-up spree, but maybe you should!

No comments:

Post a Comment