Monday, April 11, 2011

Crimplene fabulous crafternoon

A few weeks ago, I received an email from a local fancy shop announcing a ladies' crafternoon tea with posh treats and Easter felt goodies to create. Price of attendance (not including materials): only $65...plus costs for a flight to and stay in Sydney. Apparently, the local fancy shop cannot find a fabulous enough venue in this state for their fabulous crafternoon and must shift to Sydney for the day. Aussie Mum and I shared a sigh and a giggle, and then we whipped up a crafternoon tea of our own at her home yesterday afternoon.





The projects were based on the work of this artist (who lives in Sydney, thus the venue we suppose), so the practical Aussie Mum simply borrowed the book from the library to get us going. She made bunny felt egg cozies for her brood (they'll go on yummy chocolate eggs Easter morning), and I stitched together some Easter bunny felt hairclips for my girls. I think I need to redo the backs because as they are the clip goes from top to bottom, which is opposite the direction needed to hold back hair (oops). We were joined by another of Aussie Mum's friends who is a fantastic hand-quilter. She worked on her gorgeous quilt and made us feel a bit silly...but I like a bit of silly in my weekend, don't you?

In the spirit of a ladies' afternoon tea, I dressed up in my latest vintage find: a 1960s mint-condition turquoise dress (tags still on!) with flamingo applique and made from Crimplene! The tag expounds the virtues of Crimplene, starting with the fact that it is "the new special knitted look in fashion and can be worn all the year round" and the luxury and practicality of suits and frocks that don't "seat". Well, hello! Why did they stop making this stuff?! (I am hoping it is not because it spontaneously combusts or something similarly interesting.)



It's entirely possible that I'm having way too much fun with this dress, but it makes me happy. I'm considering a search for a flamingo neck square and a custom name badge for Flamingo Airlines to complete the look.

Any Easter crafting up your sleeves?
I highly recommend hosting your own ladies crafternoon.
The more fun, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment