Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The build-up and the wind-down

I felt like I was running around all day with way too much caffeine in my system, a kind of hyper-mania productivity that involved a lot of fast-paced picking up and moving around of things without actually accomplishing a great deal.  And this was without the caffeine.

I was nervous.

I had agreed to be interviewed by the local paper about keeping backyard chickens.  They were sending a photographer at 3 and an interviewer at 4.

I swear extroverts have an easier time in life.

two in the run, one on the nest

escaping the paparazzi

Is it safe to come out yet?


I wore myself out with all the manic activity today, but the actual reason I felt nervous...well, it turned out that wasn't such a big deal.  After all, I'm perfectly happy to talk to people about our funny chickens.  I wasn't even phased when Penny, our most vocal chook, peed on my shirt during the photographs and then squawked about it for almost an hour afterwards (thank you, Penny).  It was a bit of a bummer that the girls (my daughters, not my chickens) hit their afternoon slump as the interviewer turned to them for "the kid's perspective", but whatcha gonna do?

Now, I don't feel nervous at all.  What if the pictures zoom in on the shirt pee and the dreaded double-chin?  Oh well.  What if the interview makes me seem a bit crazy?  That won't surprise those who know me.  The way the interviewer scribbled away, I'm really not sure what I'll be quoted as saying.  At the end of the day, having backyard chickens is a fun adventure.  The kids (ours and most kids who visit our home) love it.  That's why we do it.  Maybe after reading the article about our crazy little family homestead, someone else will be intrigued enough to try it too.

As for the chickens, they are playing it safe and sticking close to their coop this evening.  Their moment of fame was glorious...and rather tiring, it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment