Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Simple baby hat

One of the families in my daughter's class at school has had a baby boy. What a perfect excuse to knit a baby hat! I didn't want a newborn hat with a rolled brim (uncomfortable when being held close to mom), so my knitting peeps provided me with their go-to baby beanie pattern for 8-ply.


For newborn size (3 months and up), cast on 72 (82) stitches.
Knit 14 rows of rib in K2,P2 on size 3.25 mm needles.
Change to 4mm needles and knit 16 rows in stockinette. Decrease for shaping.
1st row: K1, k2tog, (K5, k2tog) repeat until last 6 stitches, K6.
2nd row (and all even rows): purl
3rd row: K1, k2tog, (K4, k2tog) repeat until last 6 stitches, K6.
5th row: K1, k2tog, (K3, k2tog) repeat until last 4 stitches, K4.
7th row: K1, k2tog, (K2, k2tog) repeat until last 3 stitches, K3.
9th row: K1, k2tog, (K1, k2tog) repeat until last 2 stitches, K2.
11th row: K1, k2tog until last 6 stitches, K1.
Thread wool through remaining stitches. Pull tight and secure. Sew up seam.

I hate seaming, so I followed the pattern but used magic loop rather than knit it flat (I should probably redo the math because I no longer need those knit stitches on either end for the seam, but I knit it as was).



My peeps are incredibly knowledgeable knitters who have knit many a beanie in their lifetimes (they knit baby beanies by the hundreds for the local hospital). However, by row 10, I was unconvinced this pattern was for me. All that rib was cinching up tight and I was picturing a balloon-shaped beanie as I worked (not the desired effect). I switched then and added 4 rows to the stockinette. Next time, I think I'll do the whole beanie on the size 4s with only 4 rows of rib to prevent curling and see how that turns out. Regardless, it looked great once it was blocked on a conveniently-sized balloon! Knit in Sublime's baby cashmere, I hope it will keep that darling baby boy nice and cozy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh now I understand the balloon request - sorry I didn't get your text until quite late. The beanie looks gorgeous and will look even better on a wee baby boys head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that was the balloon request. I ended up buying a bag. They are hidden away in my knitting things now. I have two more beanies in the works! Now that it's cold here, I can't stand seeing so many babies without hats. I may have to start carrying baby beanies around in my purse, passing them out as need arises... ;)

    ReplyDelete