Friday, August 8, 2014

Atypical back-to-school supplies



I don't know what it going on with the weather here, but I love it.  The temperature has been stuck in the most gloriously comfortable range of the upper 70s to low 80s Fahrenheit (in the 20s Celsius).  The rain and humidity that marked the early summer have passed for the moment.  I know it's boring to talk about the weather, but I can't help it when it is this gorgeous.  I learned the hard way last winter how quickly weather can affect mood, so it's no wonder we're all feeling rather content these days.

We bought school supplies this week.  The girls don't go back until the first week of September, but that time is approaching so quickly.  My big girl needed a flash drive this year, and of course, she insisted it be cute and fun.  Three big box stores later (sigh), she found and loved this one.  My wise friend skipped that shopping nonsense and went to Amazon for all supplies in one place, where she also found this fantastic selection of flash drives for kids.  Smart cookie.

Our school supply list dictates the kids' pencils should be labeled with their names.  I have seen so many crazy attempts at doing this by hand, usually resulting in parental swearing.  Two years ago, I ordered in bulk personalised pencils for my big girl, and she still hasn't run out.  Even if you only want a dozen or so, this shop is reasonable and ships quickly.

Thinking ahead to school lunches, I've been drawing inspiration and trying recipes from the lovely Kate of Lunch Lady.  Her first post hit rather close to home, and the Can't Be Flapjacked recipe in it is delicious!

Speaking of lunches, our lunch boxes are these (we have the Rover).  This will be year #4 of use, and we still love them!

Still thinking about school lunches and also reminiscing about our camper trip, I had a lightbulb moment and remembered these, which I bookmarked ages ago but never decided how to use until now.  I uploaded 100 photos of the girls and our family from the past year and had them printed on mini cards for $20, giving us 50 lunches with a photo tucked inside for each kid.  The backs of each mini card will be blank for little love notes.  I can hardly wait to see them.  I haven't told the girls.

Compared with some lists I have seen, our required supply lists were quite reasonable, giving us room to splurge on fun stuff here and there.  Sometimes, it's the little things that help get them through the day.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment