Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Homemade deodorant



For over a year now, I've been using what we (affectionately) call my Weird Hippie Deodorant.  I started using homemade deodorant out of curiosity.  I had read about the horrible toxic chemical effects of certain components of store-bought deodorant, the concerns of aluminium residues, particularly for women and application near the breast area…and I just wanted to see what the alternative might be.  I tried store-bought "natural" deodorants, all of which (for me) were a colossal fail.  Many bloggers have tried and praised a simple homemade deodorant from this recipe:

2 Tbsp baking soda
2 Tbsp arrowroot
3 Tbsp coconut oil, softened or melted

Stir ingredients together until fully mixed.  Pour into a paper baking cup (I set mine in a muffin tin too) and place in refrigerator until solid.
During the summer months, my Weird Hippie Deodorant lives in the fridge.  At room temperature, it becomes a mushy sludge that seems less effective than when it's a solid (probably because I accidentally apply too much sludge).  Using it as a solid hockey-puck of deodorant is so easy.  Just rub it on like regular deodorant and go.  There is a recipe to make it more temperature-stable, but I haven't tried it yet.

The upside?
It doesn't stain clothes.
It doesn't leave a lingering odour.
Most importantly, I don't leave a lingering odour.
This stuff really works.

Yes, you will sweat (maybe a lot).  Your body is designed to sweat out impurities, and you will do that.  It's not the most comfortable feeling, especially if you are used to wearing super-strength antiperspirants (and sweating anyway).  If you do wear antiperspirant and make the switch, you will sweat even more for a while.  Your body tries even harder to sweat when it is being chemically blocked, and it needs time to readjust once you take the chemical blockers away.

I have used this for a year before sharing because I wanted to give it a go through all the seasons.  Our California camper van trip sealed the deal for me.  My Weird Hippie Deodorant got too hot on the flight to CA and the coconut oil leached out of its container all over our toiletries (thankfully, it doesn't damage anything).  I only had tiny bits of deodorant left.  In the remote spots our first few nights, I actually couldn't find chemical deodorant in shops.  There were only "natural" deodorants (it was California, after all), which I bought and re-confirmed do not work.  I ended up scraping up and using  the tiny bits of my homemade deodorant throughout the trip, and even those bits worked!  I'm sold.

What do you think?  Willing to give it a go?

No comments:

Post a Comment