Sunday, January 8, 2012

Penguin Island, polarized

With a few scalding exceptions here and there, we've been enjoying an incredibly mild summer in Perth this year. Over the weekend, the temperature didn't even crest 90F (amazing!), so we decided to make the most of it and spend some time down at Penguin Island. Penguin Island is part of a marine nature reserve and is home to a fairy penguin colony as well as a variety of other seabirds (including the original owners of large white pelican feather my girl found).

The penguins are molting right now and are pretty stressed out, so they were all hiding. It's best to keep your distance (at least 5m), so we left them well alone and enjoyed the crystal clear sea.



The water is stunning. The Indian Ocean simply cannot be beat for beauty, methinks. Unless you enhance the view with polarized lenses. Check it out.






I snapped away with my camera for a while until I realized my camera wouldn't see what I saw through my polarized sunglasses. So, I simply popped my sunglasses over the camera lens. Voila! (of course, you can buy a polarized filter too; this was just my cheap, easy, on-the-spot solution, and it works pretty well)

How was your weekend?
Wishing you a great start to the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment