Sunday, January 20, 2013

Glitter in progress

With the Muses parade less than a month away, I am woefully behind on glittering shoes (as in, I hadn't started yet!).  I was starting to have bad dreams in which I showed up late for the parade, without my costume, without any glittered shoes, on the wrong day...trauma!

What am I talking about?  The Krewe of Muses, a New Orleans Mardi Gras krewe (club) with the most popular parade for several years running!  The first part of this blog name is "a muse", because I am a member of the Krewe of Muses, made up of the most fabulous, diverse group of women in New Orleans and elsewhere.

  Muses 2007

I joined Muses when we lived in New Orleans and experienced my first parade as a rider the following year after Katrina (2007).  That's me in the photo, looking ecstatic (because I was!).    When I signed up, I thought it would be a bucket list experience, riding in a New Orleans Mardi Gras parade.  Who gets to do that?!  I had no idea how amazing it would be, how much positive energy and thrilling excitement radiates from the crowds, or how wonderfully funny and supportive would be the women on my float.  They have stuck with me through four international moves, sending me a very heavy and expensive care package with all the goodies to make red beans and rice and other treats while I was in Holland, holding my spot without reservation despite the fact that our float itself has a waiting list because so many women want to ride with them.  I flew from Australia to ride with them again last year, and it was even more incredible that I had remembered. Now that I'm back in the States, I could not miss the opportunity to be an official rider again.  The parade rolls on February 7.  I'll be up top on float #18 on the driver's side, so make a big sign and hold it up for me so I can throw you something good!

Muses 2012

So, what's this about glitter?  Aside from all the plastic beads and toys and assorted whatnots we throw to the crowds, the most highly prized score from the Muses parade is a glittered high heeled shoe.  We can't throw them for obvious reasons, so parade goers who score a shoe are usually handed one directly and feel very chosen.  It's funny (and wonderful!) how much sheer joy is associated with getting a shoe from the parade.  But of course, before they can be given, they have to be made.  That's where this post comes in.

shoes 2012

Last night, I had two girlfriends over for wine, cheese, chocolate and glitter!  I had purchased and collected (thanks, Grandmary!) simple pairs of high heels in good condition from thrift stores (I've never paid more than $5 for a pair).  We spray-painted them gold or silver, and then the glueing and glittering could begin.

glitter shoe

Now I have glitter all over myself and my house, even in my refrigerator.  I've given it a good clean, but I think it's a lost cause, at least until Mardi Gras is over.  Keep calm and glitter on!

No comments:

Post a Comment