Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!


Today was one of those days I was tempted to wallow. I woke with a pinched nerve in my neck that progressed over the day to pain up my neck and down my back and right shoulder. Uncharacteristically, the girls squabbled and screamed at me and each other all morning. I missed yoga yet again because little one had such extreme meltdowns at schooltime that I thought she might be sick (she wasn't). That heat wave brings all kinds of suffering with it.

But then...I remembered it was Thanksgiving, a day for purposefully counting one's blessings.

I had pain, yes, but really, it was discomfort. I am healthy and strong, and the discomfort/pain I felt was so noticeable because it was unusual. All of us are healthy and strong. A couple of picky eaters, yes, but they have enough and I never have to worry about that. True blessings.

My wee one might have pushed all the right buttons to stay home and disrupt my plans, but at least I can be home for her when she needs me. So many parents cannot do this, even if they want to be home.

My disrupted plans were frustrating to me, but all of the items on my list were luxuries. Most of the little errands were related to our delayed Thanksgiving we'll host on Saturday. How blessed are we that we can not only afford to enjoy a lavish meal but we can also share that meal with our friends.

This is only the tip of the iceberg, the beautifully long list of reasons to be thankful.
Whether or not this is a holiday you celebrate, I wish a Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment