Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Swaddle blanket

Our dear friends, Andrea and Fiammetta, welcomed their beautiful baby girl, Camilla Eva Grace, last Thursday. Born in Geneva, she'll need to keep extra cozy warm through the winter months ahead. I hope this swaddle blanket will be a good start.


One side is voile; the other is flannel. Both fabrics are by Anna Maria Horner, who also provided inspiration for the blanket here. Simply cut both fabrics at the same time to make sure they are the same size. I put a dinner plate on the corners and cut around it with my rotary cutter for nice curves. I basted the whole thing, wrong sides together. Then, I sewed on some pre-made linen bias-binding, because making my own felt so daunting and this colour was perfect anyway. No, the stitching isn't perfect like Anna Maria's, but I think that just means that it is handmade with love, not store-bought.

Of course, thinking about this sweet baby girl makes me think she also needs a cozy warm baby sweater. Christmas is just around the corner and I have mailing times to contend with when it comes to getting gifts to friends and family on time. I really need to focus on that first, but what I did instead this morning was wind a ball of this...


No comments:

Post a Comment